October 19, 2016 – The information presented by Ontario Racing in its webinar regarding the proposed long-term funding framework for horse racing in the province is now available.
The slides from the webinar are presented below, or available here.
This framework, subject to government approval, will be presented to the industry for feedback. If approved, this framework will provide the industry as a whole – from owners, trainers and breeders to racetrack operators – with the certainty they need to make investments in their businesses.
OR’s primary objective, to this point, has been to engage directly with the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation and the government to provide input to the development of a roadmap to sustainable funding for the industry. Now, OR’s focus will shift towards engagement with the industry as a whole to garner feedback on this proposed framework.
This proposed framework is based on key principles including:
- A new racetrack alliance: all Ontario racetracks that conduct live racing will be invited to create a new alliance. It is proposed that Woodbine Entertainment Group (WEG) will serve as the administrator of this new alliance.
- Longer-term, predictable funding: Ontario’s horseracing industry can invest in their businesses beyond 2021.
- Ongoing accountability and transparency: decision-making based on evidence and agreed upon success indicators.
- Industry leadership: racetrack business plans, race dates, purse levels will be aligned across racetracks for a coordinated approach. Ontario Racing will play a key industry leadership role in the future.
Next steps include widespread ‘in person’ conversations with the industry about these principles, across Ontario. Sessions will take place in every region of the province that has horse racing, starting next week and taking place throughout the month of November. (dates subject to change)
- Monday, October 31 – 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. – Toronto (Holiday Inn – Toronto International Airport)
- Tuesday, November 1 – 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. – Hamilton (Flamboro Downs)
- Wednesday, November 9 – 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. – (Hiawatha Horse Park)
- Sunday, November 13 – 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. – London (Western Fair Raceway)
- Wednesday, November 16 – 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. – Ottawa (Rideau Carleton Raceway)
- Saturday, November 19 – 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. – Port Perry (Location TBD)
- Tuesday, November 22 – 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. – Milton (Gambrel Barn, Country Heritage Park)
Industry participants can also provide feedback by answering consultation questions online on the Ontario Racing website.
Ontario Racing will collate feedback from the industry, and this perspective will inform recommendations to government.
(with files from Ontario Racing)