June 28, 2017


Frequently Asked Questions


How much does a COSA membership cost?

COSA membership is free to eligible horsepeople (see membership form). Organizational and membership costs are funded through COSA’s share of handle revenue at Woodbine and Mohawk Racetracks.

What do I need in order to enroll in the Benefits Program?

You will need an OHIP card and you must reside in Ontario.  If you are a caretaker you must provide COSA with a copy of a paycheque, T-4 or pay stub from your employer.

You are also required to hold a valid Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) license and have a Standardbred Canada (SC) Associate Groom’s license.

Also, your employer must have a minimum of 24 starts on either of the two WEG tracks in the prior calendar year.

How do I enroll in the Benefits Program?

You can either visit the COSA office at 36 Main Street North in Campbellville to fill out the forms, or you can print them from our website; fill them in and mail or deliver them to our office. An Enrollment Form is available here.

Do I send the forms, once completed, to MDM Insurance or to the COSA office?

You will need to send all of the completed forms by mail or drop them off at the COSA office.  Original copies must be received at the COSA office.  Do not send them directly to MDM.

How long is the waiting period before I can start using my Benefits?

It usually takes 7-10 days to receive your enrollment package in the mail.  Once you have received a confirmation letter, you can start using your medical benefits immediately.  There is a one month waiting period for dental benefits.

How do I apply for Benefits if I have been involved in an accident?

Contact Linda Kitts at Standardbred Canada (905)858-3060, Ext. 256 and she will start the claim process.
Once you have received your first disability cheque, fax, mail or deliver in person a copy of such and COSA will then top up the amount received from Great West Life by an extra 50%.

Does COSA have an RRSP program that I can contribute to?

The industry’s Ontario Standardbred Horsepeople’s RRSP program is administered by Jen Rankin.

You do not have to be a member of  COSA or any horse association to enroll in the RRSP program.

Go to the RRSP link for forms and more information or for enquiries concerning the RRSP program please contact the administrator :

Jen Rankin jenr@ohha.ca or 905-854-6442